Waterbeach Barracks 



 

RAF Station Waterbeach and airfield was built in 1940 on the northern edge of the village as part of RAF Bomber Command. The station and airfield were transferred from the Royal Air Force to the Royal Engineers, part of the British Army, in 1966 and the barracks, airfield and surrounding quarters currently house 25 and 39 Engineer Regiments.  The former airfield is now used as a training area for troops, with occasional visits by helicopters and  in the past by Harrier jump jets.

In July 2011 the Ministry of Defence announced that Waterbeach Barracks will close.

The Ministry of Defence announced in November 2011 that 39 Engineer Regiment would move to RAF Kinloss in the summer of 2012. HQ 12 (Air Support) Engineer Group will move from Waterbeach to RAF Wittering in the summer of 2013, enabling the closure of Waterbeach Barracks by December 2013. In addition, 25 Engineer Regiment will be disbanded by no later than 31 May 2012. 

Two of its squadrons (34 Field Squadron and 53 Field Squadron) will become part of 39 Engineer Regiment and move to RAF Kinloss. A total of 930 Service personnel will move to Kinloss, and 44 Service personnel to Wittering.

Today about a third of the children at the local primary school come from the Barracks and local residents may use the outdoor heated swimming pool, fishing lake and 9-hole golf course located on the Barracks. There is also a small Barracks Museum, open April to September.

Many local clubs use the facilities on the Barracks for golf, fishing, clay pigeon shooting and model aircraft flying.





Our Mission:

  • To promote sustainable, responsible development of the Barracks for the benefit of the community.
  • To oppose unsustainable, speculative development on the Barracks that doesn’t benefit the community.


Community Web Kit provided free by BT